The SRAM RED 12-speed chain represents a complete new development. Equipped with the unique Flattop™ link shape, the chain is not only lighter and narrower, but nevertheless also more stable. This design creates more space on both sides between the outer plates of the chain and the sprockets of the cassette, which allows in the result faster as well as more precise shifting operations and ensures a quieter chain run.
Features of the SRAM RED chain
- narrow Flattop™ link shape for quieter chain running, higher tensile strength and longer durability
- inner plates with Hard Chrome™ coating for less wear and longer life
- HollowPin™ construction for more stability and greater efficiency
- including PowerLock™ chain connector matched to Flattop™ design
Manufacturer’s note: Exclusively suitable for use with SRAM XG-1270 and XG-1290 chains.
Flattop™ | In order to realize the larger ratio range of X-RANGE™ cassettes and to allow correspondingly smoother, smaller-step gear changes, it requires a narrower chain. To ensure that durability does not suffer, SRAM has added material to the flat side of the outer plates and hard-chrome plated the rivets, inner plates and bushings. This way, the Flattop™ chains not only outperform the 11-speed models in terms of durability, but are also at least as efficient.
Hard Chrome™ | Thanks to a special machining process for the inner links and rollers, the hard chrome-plated chains from SRAM achieve a four times higher wear resistance. Also in terms of push pin strength and overall strength, the extremely stable and durable Hard Chrome™ chains do not have to hide from other current models.
HollowPin™ | This construction method is used in the top models among SRAMs chains, the PowerChains. The HollowPin™ technology not only reduces the weight to the lowest possible for a full pin chain, but also provides a stronger plate adhesion and more effective gear changes in front and rear.
- outer links: steel (nickel plated)
- inner links: steel (chrome plated)
- rivets: steel (chrome-plated, hardened)